Lamps are one of those items that can definitely break the bank and make you wonder why these paper lampshades are so expensive? As much as I love and appreciate the design aspects of it, I do get the point that the price tags are sometimes hard to deal with, so I thought I would show you an alternative way to get, what you see in shops. Today we will be making, design inspired, folded paper lampshade, are you excited?
Creating a new shade for your lamp is a very quick and easy way to change the look and feel of a room, with plenty custom possibilities.
With a little bit of precision and neat detail, you can finish it and make look professional, the way that nobody would ever believe that it’s done by you! So let’s get into it and make some pretty lampshades today:
You will need:
- big paper or a roll of wallpaper
- very big round object or – to draw the perfect circle shape (I used a plant plate)
- double sided tape.
1. Lay the wallpaper on the floor or desk, making sure that the color part is facing out.
2. Use your round object to draw a circle shape on the wallpaper.
3. Cut the circle shape out.
4. Fold circle shape in half, making sure that you crease it well.
5. Fold the circle again, but this time to the opposite side.
6. Make a cut on one of the creases, halfway through the circle shape.
7. In order to make sure that your lamp shade has equal folds, make a pre-lines half-way through each part, before folding them. This little trick will keep your folds equal. Fold 1/4 of the circle into a half.
8. Then fold 1/8 of the circle into a half.
9. Now your pre-lines are ready so you can start folding the circle, just like an ‘accordion.’
10. Fold one side up, one side down and so on, until you reach the end of the 1/4.
11. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 3/4 of the circle.
12. When you are finished your circle should look like this.
13. If you want to change the color of the lamp wire, you can do it so by wrapping 2 rows of washi tape around. I have changed mine from black to white because it suits the lampshade better.
14. Wrap the lampshade around the light bulb and combine the two ends with a double sided tape.
15. Your design inspired, paper lampshade is ready now!