Slate flooring can be difficult to treat because it easily becomes damaged or stained if not treated properly. Because of its sensitive nature, it’s important to always conduct a test area first to ensure there are no adverse effects to the slate. If the test area turns out well, you’re safe to proceed to the affected area.
You Will Need:
- Mineral spirits
- Soft cloth
- Plastic scraper
- Slate floor cleaner
Steps to remove the Adhesive:
- Moisten a soft cloth with mineral spirits.
- Blot the adhesive with the cloth to moisten the entire area.
- Allow the mineral spirits to set on the area for a few minutes.
- Scrape the area gently with the plastic scraper to remove the adhesive.
- Moisten a second cloth with the mineral spirits and rub it over the surface to remove any remaining residue.
- Clean the floor as normal or use a slate floor cleaner to remove any residue from the mineral spirits.
Additional Tips and Advice:
- It may be helpful to seal the floor once the adhesive is removed. There are slate floor sealers available at home improvement and flooring stores.